Hill-Kurtz House


Travel Main


Photo Gallery: Hill-Kurtz House


The Hill-Kurtz House is one of a number of structures in Griffin that was constructed by a builder named Gilman J. Drake who came to town from New Hampshire in 1857. He built the house for Benjamin J. Milner, a pioneer citizen of Griffin who financed the only cavalry unit sent from Spalding County to the Confederate forces. Milner sold the house and fourteen acres in 1866 to Henry Hill. His daughter married prominent Griffin attorney David Jackson Bailey who added the Victorian wing which forms the T-end of the originally square structure. The house was sold in 1920 to Ober Tyus who remodeled it extensively. It was sold to Catherine Griffin in 1948 and to W. Paul Kurtz in 1958.

Built about 1860, the Hill-Kurtz house is a one-story, hipped roof house built on a cross-hall plan. A portico with square Doric columns surrounds the square structure on three sides. This colonnade originally surrounded the building, but the rear facade columns were removed in the 1890's for an addition. The wing extends beyond the body of the house creating a T-shaped plan.
(Source: www.gshistoricalsociety.org)

Travel Main | Bailey-Tebault House | Double Cabins | Griffin Commercial District | Hawkes Library | Hill-Kurtz House | Hunt House | Medical College | Mills House | Mills House and Smokehouse | Old Courthouse | Old Gaissert Homeplace | Pritchard-Moore-Goodrich House | Sam Bailey Building | St. George's Episcopal Church | "City of Griffin" and City Hall | "Confederate Camp" | "Confederate Cemetery" | "First Grain Elevator" | "First Paving" | "Founding of Griffin" | "Founding of Griffin 2 blk" | "Georgia Experiment Station" | "Georgia's Militia at Griffin" | "Lewis Lawrence Griffin" | "Ringold Community" | "Spalding County" | "Spalding Grays" | "The Fannin Avengers" | "The Orphan Brigade" | Diane Court

This site was last updated 02/20/09