Photo Gallery: Mills House
This building is very well-kept, and appears to be new.
This structure was built during the early 1850's for the
Lewis family on the northernmost boundary of what was the original town plan
of Griffin. Following the war, Mrs. Emily W. Lewis lived in the house with
her granddaughter, Lavonia Hammond. Miss Hammond married John B. Mills in
1878, and when Mrs. Lewis died in 1901, Mills purchased the house from her
brothers and sisters. When Lavonia Hammond Mills died in 1936, the house
passed out of the Mills family. The house was owned by a succession of
people and later rented for apartments, but it continued to be associated
with the Mills family.
The Lewis-Mills House is a finely detailed Greek Revival structure. The
two-story, hipped roof building is fronted by a large portico which has four
square Doric columns. A two-story porch extends across the rear facade. The
four-room, wide central hall plan is the typical Greek Revival plan common
to piedmont Georgia in the 1840's and 1850's. The Lewis-Mills house was
purchased and restored by the Griffin-Spalding Historical Society. It served
as the Society headquarters until 1987 when it was sold to individuals.
Today the house contains a business.
Travel Main | Bailey-Tebault House | Double Cabins | Griffin Commercial District | Hawkes Library | Hill-Kurtz House | Hunt House | Medical College | Mills House | Mills House and Smokehouse | Old Courthouse | Old Gaissert Homeplace | Pritchard-Moore-Goodrich House | Sam Bailey Building | St. George's Episcopal Church | "City of Griffin" and City Hall | "Confederate Camp" | "Confederate Cemetery" | "First Grain Elevator" | "First Paving" | "Founding of Griffin" | "Founding of Griffin 2 blk" | "Georgia Experiment Station" | "Georgia's Militia at Griffin" | "Lewis Lawrence Griffin" | "Ringold Community" | "Spalding County" | "Spalding Grays" | "The Fannin Avengers" | "The Orphan Brigade" | Diane Court
This site was last updated