Old Courthouse


Travel Main


Photo Gallery: Old Courthouse

Now used as an extension service office and 4 H office, the building was converted to a jail when the new courthouse opened in 1911. The original steeple and clock tower were removed at that time.


This building was the original Spalding County Courthouse. Built in 1859 at a cost of $12,000, the two-story, brick structure was built on the lot designated for the courthouse by General Griffin in the original plan for Griffin. For the first eight years of Spalding County's existence, county offices were located in Griffin City Hall. The building was used as the courthouse until 1911 when the present courthouse was built. The jail facilities were housed at Broad and 5th Street until the new facility was built.

Travel Main | Bailey-Tebault House | Double Cabins | Griffin Commercial District | Hawkes Library | Hill-Kurtz House | Hunt House | Medical College | Mills House | Mills House and Smokehouse | Old Courthouse | Old Gaissert Homeplace | Pritchard-Moore-Goodrich House | Sam Bailey Building | St. George's Episcopal Church | "City of Griffin" and City Hall | "Confederate Camp" | "Confederate Cemetery" | "First Grain Elevator" | "First Paving" | "Founding of Griffin" | "Founding of Griffin 2 blk" | "Georgia Experiment Station" | "Georgia's Militia at Griffin" | "Lewis Lawrence Griffin" | "Ringold Community" | "Spalding County" | "Spalding Grays" | "The Fannin Avengers" | "The Orphan Brigade" | Diane Court

This site was last updated 02/20/09